What is Creekside Student Ministries?
Our ministry exists to come alongside families (the primary disciplers of each student) in line with the Creekside and Family Ministry heart to make disciples. We do this by partnering with adult mentors to equip and encourage students toward deeper spiritual growth and authentically living out their faith in response to the gospel. We see this done through commitment to learning from God's word, gathering in fellowship, prayer, celebrating communion, and a life of worship and service (corporately & individually) to impact the culture we live in for God's glory. This is accomplished in a welcoming and spiritually challenging environment that strives to build Christ honoring and faith encouraging fellowship among students in order to ultimately help each of them take their next step with Jesus.
Student Ministries Staff
- Ephesians 2:1-10 – As for you, you were dead in your transgressions and sins, in which you used to live when you followed the ways of this world and of the ruler of the kingdom of the air, the spirit who is now at work in those who are disobedient. All of us also lived among them at one time, gratifying the cravings of our flesh and following its desires and thoughts. Like the rest, we were by nature deserving of wrath. But because of his great love for us, God, who is rich in mercy, made us alive with Christ even when we were dead in transgressions—it is by grace you have been saved. And God raised us up with Christ and seated us with him in the heavenly realms in Christ Jesus, in order that in the coming ages he might show the incomparable riches of his grace, expressed in his kindness to us in Christ Jesus. For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith—and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of God— not by works, so that no one can boast. For we are God’s handiwork, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do.
- And the Joseph narrative in Genesis (chapters 37-50).
Matt is an Elk Grove native and originally attended Creekside from the time he was in the nursery until graduating high school. After graduation he moved away to go to college at Azusa Pacific University and then began working in youth ministry in Branson, Missouri. He has worked in full-time ministry since 2013 and moved back home to join the staff team at Creekside in 2018. Matt got married in July 2020 and had his first son in July 2021, gladly adding to the up-and-coming COVID Boomer generation. Other than his little guy capturing much of my time, Matt loves anything outdoors! Biking, hiking, rock climbing, sports, you name it and he’s in! Matt’s favorite passage is:
· Psalm 63:1-8 – God, you are my God; earnestly I seek you; my soul thirsts for you; my flesh faints for you, as in a dry and weary land where there is no water. So I have looked upon you in the sanctuary, beholding your power and glory. Because your steadfast love is better than life, my lips will praise you. So I will bless you as long as I live; in your name I will lift up my hands. My soul will be satisfied as with fat and rich food, and my mouth will praise you with joyful lips, when I remember you upon my bed, and meditate on you in the watches of the night; for you have been my help, and in the shadow of your wings I will sing for joy. My soul clings to you; your right hand upholds me.
Matt loves that this passage draws attention to our true and deep inner longing for our Creator while giving recognition to the reality that the Lords steadfast love is the greatest thing we can cling to in this life, He is our strength and in Him alone is true satisfaction
Andrew began attending and joined Creekside staff at the end of August in 2020, in the middle of our Covid year. After having gone to church since he was 6 years old and wearing out a lot of children’s workers and youth workers, he accepted Christ when he was 13 years old, just as he was going into high school. Before joining Creekside, he worked for two years as a Christian high school teacher and then as a global Outreach Coordinator. Andrew was born in San Francisco and grew up in the East Bay. He loves music (both listening to it and making it), films/movies, hiking, photography and videography, traveling (internationally, or even just a good road trip), and reading. Andrew is a huge Lord of the Rings fan, and also a Potterhead and a Star Wars geek. His life verse is:
· Acts 20:24 – But I do not account my life of any value nor as precious to myself, if only I may finish my course and the ministry that I received from the Lord Jesus, to testify to the gospel of the grace of God.
Karen began attending Creekside and joined our staff in 2019. She accepted Christ when she was about 8 and started in full time ministry in 2003. A native Sacramentian, the farthest she has moved was 30 miles to Elk Grove. Karen enjoys Jeeping, the outdoors, photography and her dog ‘Spunk.’ Karen’s favorite verse is:
· Psalm 46:10 – Be Still and Know that He is God.
Kaylee grew up in Elk Grove and started attending Creekside during High School in 2013 and joined staff in 2019. While she accepted the Lord as Savior when she was 10, she recommitted her life to Christ at age 17 and was baptized. Kaylee is always ready to binge a good TV series, loves listening to music, and spends most of her time with friends and family. Her favorite bible verses/passages are:
· Romans 15:13 – May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace as you trust in him, so that you may overflow with hope by the power of the Holy Spirit.
· Colossians 3:15-17 – Let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts, since as members of one body you were called to peace. And be thankful. Let the message of Christ dwell among you richly as you teach and admonish one another with all wisdom through psalms, hymns, and songs from the Spirit, singing to God with gratitude in your hearts. And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him.
Nathan began attending Creekside in 2016 in during his first year of High school. He joined staff in spring of 2022. Nathan accepted Christ at the age of 9. He grew up in Elk Grove but once lived in Liberia for 6 months with his family on a long term mission trip. Some of Nathan’s favorite things volleyball and weight lifting. His favorite verse is Matthew 22:37-40
· Matthew 22:37-40: Jesus replied: “‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.’ This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’ All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments.”